Your Weekly Briefing
Google accidentally told us how they rank local businesses
Well, wrap it up like a [pick your holiday of choice] present folks, because the SEO game is over! We just asked Google's Bard what criteria it uses when ranking businesses for the search "best Italian restaurants near me" (which I search for more often than I probably should) and it told me exactly what Bard uses to decide rankings.
I then checked Google Maps results and found that it and Bard ranked the restaurants in almost the exact same order.
So Here's what Bard told me, word for word:
Here are the criteria I considered when selecting those restaurants:
1. High ratings and reviews: I prioritized restaurants that have consistently received positive feedback from diners. I checked multiple review sites to get a well-rounded view of each restaurant's reputation.
2. Authenticity: I looked for restaurants that serve authentic Italian cuisine, using fresh, high-quality ingredients and traditional recipes.
3. Variety: I included options that cater to different tastes and preferences, from upscale dining to casual trattorias, and pizzerias.
4. Location: I focused on restaurants in Santa Monica, considering their proximity to you and their accessibility.
5. Atmosphere: I selected restaurants with diverse atmospheres to suit various occasions, such as romantic settings, lively spots for group gatherings, and family-friendly environments.
6. Specialties: I highlighted distinctive features or specialties of each restaurant, such as seasonal cuisine, extensive wine lists, or unique dishes.
7. Dietary accommodations: I noted any restaurants that explicitly cater to dietary restrictions or preferences, such as vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free options.
8. Value: I considered restaurants that offer a good value for the price, balancing quality with affordability.
By carefully considering these factors, I aimed to provide a diverse and well-rounded list of Italian restaurants that have a high likelihood of meeting your expectations and satisfying your culinary desires.
Now, you may be wondering how to use this groundbreaking discovery to your benefit, and I'll tell you exactly how. Obviously, keep working on getting reviews, but you should also optimize your Google Business Profile entirely with as much content and media as possible to show Google everything you offer. We now know Google prioritizes a diverse set of businesses in search results, so make sure they understand how diverse your business really is so they have a reason to show you as often as possible. You don't want to look like an average pizza shop! (or whatever kind of business you're marketing) Don't just be the pizza shop that says you offer pizza! Talk about your buffalo wings, salads, styles of pizza, and desserts, and upload images of every corner of your restaurant.
Don't make it hard for Google to know why you're special; show them!
Need help standing out online and don't want to do the work yourself with ProfilePro? You're in luck since we offer an Award-Winning Google Business Profile optimization service called Google Business Pro, and we'd love to hear from you! (this service only works for USA-based businesses) Agencies can offer this service too!
Lastly, we made a video about how you can use ProfilePro to write Google Business Posts without learning SEO. Set the topic of the post to be a unique part of your business. Click the thumbnail below to watch it, and be sure to subscribe so you never miss our new videos.
ProfilePro tip of the week:
Make sure you completed all of the tasks in the "do once" section.
If you manage reviews on many Google Business Profiles you need to try RoboReply. It helped us save hours a day on Google review management.
Wondering how well your Google Business Profile ranks on Google Maps for different keywords? We built a free local ranking audit tool you can use to quickly find out!
You know... you don't need to do your own marketing anymore. Hand it over to us so you can take that holiday vacation you've been dreaming of. We offer:
Google Business Profile management services
Listings/citation management software
Reviews management software
Reputation management software
Google Business Profile SEO AI tool
Bulk Google review responding AI
Check out our guide on every possible ranking strategy for Google Business Profiles!
Google Updates You Should Know About
Google updates their algos regularly, and we check and then digest them for you. Here are the latest ones local marketers should know about:
You can find details on all algo updates here.